Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Goodbye Union and May Things (Not) Go Well

Goodbye Union and May Things (Not) Go Well
May 7, 2012
Daisy Valera

HAVANA TIMES — I'm going to request to resign from the union on May 15,
I wasn't able to on the 1st. In the worker evaluation reports they do on
me every three months, no longer will they be saying I'm interested in
the union's work.

But I swear, I was genuinely interested in exchanging my bad lunch here
at the workplace cafeteria for 15 pesos a day (An option at some
workplaces).

What happened is that I fractured my toe, so I'm not in the mood for
visitors.

You might ask, "Visits from whom?"

From a compañero (comrade) from the union, of course.

Did he come to verify the swelling of my toe or to wish me a speedy
recovery? I really don't know.

I'm not very good at dealing with uncertainties. I prefer to make a
clean cut and say goodbye to my intrepid Workers Union, bye-bye
Confederation of Cuban Workers.

I believe that the compañero who visited me is a retired military
officer and a member of the PCC (Cuban Communist Party). He's seemingly
friendly, but we don't know for sure.

I'm just not in the mood for visits from strangers – it's nothing personal.

Malicious gossip has it that there's nothing that resembles workplace
management more than our own union. It's up to you to believe such
conjecture or not.

For the time being, all I can do is keep wondering what happened to the
dues I paid them every month to belong to that organization.

I need to shake this pessimism; I can assure you that union meetings can
be painful.

-We don't complain because it's not going to solve anything.
-We won't buy a certain piece of equipment because there's no money for it.
-Maybe next year.

There are exceptions, of course.

Note: I haven't forgotten that we are a blockaded country.

But what role have unions played in the face of this sudden growth of
"available" (unemployed) workers?

Persuade me, convince me, that this is good for labor.

I don't feel comfortable when they merely comply with directives –
instead of challenging them.

It irritates me when the barrier between what's work-related and what's
one's private life becomes blurred to the point of converting your home
into an extension of the job.

I feel bad for the lack of protection endured by so many workers here on
this island.

So, I'm bidding my farewell. It's amazing what the threat of a visit can do.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=69375

No comments: